This book was written from a perspective over the past 13+ years of my experience working as a designer in both print and digital mediums across mobile, digital, web marketing, platform design, ux design, print design, brand identity design, responsive design, augmented reality design and environmental design for agencies, startups, global corporations, entrepreneurs, public figures, celebrities and entertainment companies.
Over the course of my career, I have worked across these various areas within design utilizing design thinking, processes and execution of work in collaboration with many others in the corporate global space, startups, small businesses and non-profits.
This writing serves as an exercise in thinking about design, the current landscape of design, and what might the future designer need to encompass for design to evolve and succeed amidst the changing global cultural landscape.
The idea of the term “metamodernism” serves as a framework to observe and describe a sensibility happening within culture. The first half of this book discusses views on design and culture and the last half explores how the designer might approach the future of design related to these observations. Within these two sections, I try to describe and articulate the ideas around “metamodernism” and how we came to be within that movement today.
It’s been a long journey of success and failure within the work of design. This book is a collection of thoughts and observations collected over time through working on large and small design projects, leading teams, failing in startups, writing code, building apps, creating album art, designing brands and building platforms and campaigns for some of the biggest companies in the world.
This book doesn’t provide specific answers to become a great designer through practice and technique, but provokes you to think about the observations laid out to create a new place to observe, think and find new ways to apply design for the future.
Design is not solely limited to our understanding in the visual, architectural or interactive sense. Design transcends the traditional ideas of the discipline and extends into a meaningful and purposeful approach to systems, thinking, digital, environmental, and development.
Design is about solving problems. The design process is about scaffolding your steps to discover the best solution for the challenge. I am a firm believer in a scaffolding approach where you discover, research, and then prototype to test and validate before creating a final design solution. The sum of those parts are all design, though many view the output as the definition of design.
Not just prototype an end product or service. I’m talking about prototyping the creative thinking to find the solution. Prototype your ideas and then explore all possibilities to make products or services from those ideas and align them to your early vision.
Design is problem solving
Design is problem solving. But with solving a problem, have we created others in the process? Why continue to design if the end result is a fleeting pursuit of constantly trying to fix and solve additional problems created from solving an initial problem? We cannot tackle all the world’s problems. Or can we? And through what value system? Must we destroy the modern structures to build new ones? We must only solve problems that create a new sense of power through a postmodern lens?
All of these things should be measured differently.
Design is about envisioning a new future and building solutions to the challenges that keep us from the manifestation of that future. Looking at past problems, past best practices, past success, past failures and finding a way to navigate through compounding problems from flawed design over time to create better products or services.
But what if – designing better products, services and solutions for the future means building a better humanity in the present? What if better design isn’t about building on top of the current societal systems of modernism and postmodernism, but applying both movements to our work in the sense of building a better structure of humanity.
Build a better self. Build a better existence. Build a better life. Build better design.
- A poorly designed product can have the best intentions.
- A struggling business can have beautiful design.
- A great business with beautiful design can be successful.
- A struggling business with poor design can fail.
- A great business with beautiful design can fail.
- A struggling business with poor design can succeed.
A modernist outlook would say that the success or failure of the design of the business is contingent on the strength of the system.
A postmodernist outlook would say that the success or failure of the design of the business is because of lack of support, lack of resources or the success is true, but not measured in dollars and profits.
- Abramson, Seth. (January 9, 2017) “What Is Metamodernism?” [Website] Retrieved from https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-is-metamodernism_b_586e7075e4b0a5e600a788cd
- Associated Press (2020) Divided America [Website] Retrieved from https://www.ap.org/explore/divided-america/
- Australian Government (2014) The market for design: insights from interviews with Australian firms [Website] Retrieved from https://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/sites/default/files/ip-australia-economic-research-paper-03.pdf?acsf_files_redirect
- Bogdan, C. (2012, August 14) New French Extremity: An Exigency for Reality. [Website] Retrieved from http://www.metamodernism.com/2012/08/14/new-french-extremity-an-exigency-for-reality/
- Cameron, J. (2016, October 25) The Artist’s Way: 25th Anniversary Edition
- Clarke, J (2015, April 16) “The Role of the Graphic Designer in a Metamodern Structure of Feeling”. [Website] Retrieved from https://www.metamodernism.com/2015/04/16/the-role-of-the-graphic-designer/
- Craig, James, Bevington, William, Korol Scala, Irene (2006, May 1) Designing with Type, 5th Edition: The Essential Guide to Typography
- Cooper, Brent (April 10, 2018) On Metamodern Leaderhip [Website] Retrieved from https://medium.com/the-abs-tract-organization/on-metamodern-leadership-87bcf9ada5f9
- Cooper, Brent (April 10, 2018) The Metamodern Condition [Website] Retrieved from https://medium.com/the-abs-tract-organization/the-metamodern-condition-1e1d04a13c4
- Davis, D. (2016, June 14) Creative Strategy and The Business of Design
- Dalio, R. (2017, September 19) Principles: Life and Work
- Dalio, R. (2019, November 26) Principles for Success
- Design Census (2019) Designcensus.org [website] Retrieved from http://designcensus.org
- Design Council (2009) Design Industry Research 2010 [Article] Retrieved from https://www.designcouncil.org.uk/sites/default/files/asset/document/DesignIndustryResearch2010_FactSheets_Design_Council.pdf
- Deeley, D. (September 26, 2019) Five Examples of Postmodernism in Television [Website] Retrieved from https://www.theodysseyonline.com/examples-postmodernism-television
- Donald, N (1988) The Design of Everyday Things
- Duignan, B. (September 4, 2020) Postmodernism. [Website] Retrieved from
- Dun & Bradstreet (2020) Graphic Design Service Industry Insights from D&B Hoovers [Website] Retrieved from https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/industry-analysis.graphic-design-services.html
- Elam, K. (2007, April 19) Typographic Systems of Design
- Elam, K. (2005, August 1) Grid Systems: Principles of Organizing Type
- Enns, B. (2010, July 6) Win Without Pitching
- Freinacht, H. (2015, February 16) 5 Things That Make You Metamodern. [Website] Retrieved from https://metamoderna.org/5-things-that-make-you-metamodern/
- Freinacht, H. (N.D.) What is Metamodernism? [Website] Retrieved from https://metamoderna.org/metamodernism
- Archiv, Bauhaus, Droste, Magdalena (2006, June 1) Bauhaus 1919-1933
- Gordon Worley III, G (2017, Aug 18) Embracing Metamodernism. [Website] Retrieved from https://mapandterritory.org/embracing-metamodernism-5d4ebe8a8ddf
- Ghosh, Iran (September 25, 2019) Charts: America’s Political Divide 1994-2017 [Website] Retrieved from https://www.visualcapitalist.com/charts-americas-political-divide-1994-2017/
- Gladwell, M. (2011, June 7) Outliers: The Story of Success
- Gladwell, M. (2002, January 7) The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
- Graham, B. (2006, February 21) The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing. A Book of Practical Counsel (Revised Edition)
- Griffith, Robert [WIkipedia] Retrieved from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Griffin
- Harari, Y.N. (2018, May 15) Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
- Hsieh, T. (2013, March 19) Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose.
- IBISWorld (2020) Graphic Designers Industry in the US – Market Research Report [Website] Retrieved from https://www.ibisworld.com/united-states/market-research-reports/graphic-designers-industry/
- IIT Institute of Design (2020) 100 Great Designs of Modern Times [Website] Retrieved from https://id.iit.edu/projects/100-great-designs-of-modern-times-2020/
- IMDB (2020) Postmodern [Website] Retrieved from https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?keywords=postmodern
- Interbrand (2018) Best Global Brands 2018, Activating Brave
- Jencks, C. (1977). The Language of Post-Modern Architecture. New York: Rizzoli.
- Kilkilley, M. (April 15, 2016) 5 Ways Computational Design Will Change the Way You Work [Website] Retrieved from https://www.archdaily.com/785602/5-ways-computational-design-will-change-the-way-you-work
- Krogerus, M., & Tschäppeler, R. (2018, May) The Decision Book: Fifity Models for Strategic Thinking (Fully Revised Edition)
- Kuiper, Kathleen. Modernism. Retrieved from https://www.britannica.com/art/Modernism-art
- Lupton, E. (2004, April 16) Thinking with Type: A Primer for Designers: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, & Students
- M. Hardt and K. Weeks. (2000). The Jameson Reader. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, pp, 190-191.
- Maeda, J (2020) CX Report
- Maeda, J (2015) Design in Tech Report [PDF file]. Retrieved from https://designintech.report/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/designintech2015.pdf
- Maeda, J (2016) Design in Tech Report [PDF file]. Retrieved from https://designintech.report/2016/03/13/design-in-tech-report-2016/
- Maeda, J (2018) Design in Tech Report [PDF file]. Retried from https://designintech.report/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/dit2018as_pdf.pdf
- Maeda, J (2019) Design in Tech Report [PDF file]. Retrieved from https://designintech.report/2019/03/09/design-in-tech-report-2019/
- MacDowell, J. (2011, July 19) Quirky, Tone and Metamodernism. [Website] Retrieved from http://www.metamodernism.com/2011/07/19/quirky-tone-and-metamodernism/
- McKinsey (2018) McKinsey Design Index [Website] Retrieved from https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/mckinsey-design/our-insights/the-business-value-of-design
- “Modernism” (September 2020) In Wikipedia. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modernism
- “Metamodernism” (September 2020) In Wikipedia. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamodernism
- Wikipedia (2020) “Metamodernism” [Website] Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamodernism
- Neumeier, M. (2003) The Brand Gap: How To Bridge the Gap Between Business Strategy and Design
- Neumeier, M.
- Olsen, & Scott (2006, October 16) The Golden Section: Nature’s Greatest Secret
- Osterwalder, A. (2014, October 20) Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want (Strategyzer)
- Peterson, J. (2018, January 23) 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos
- Pendergast, Augusta (N.D.) Understanding Modernism and Post-Modernism [Website] Retrieved from http://pendau01.sites.gettysburg.edu/how_do_we_fit_in/understanding-modernism-and-post-modernism/
- Pew Research Center (2020) Political Polarization [ Website] Retrieved from https://www.pewresearch.org/topics/political-polarization/
- “Postmodernism” (September 2020) In Wikipedia. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodernism
- Quintana, Xela (October 13, 2018) Culture: Metamodern Pairs with Millenials [Website] Retrieved from https://www.logosmagazinecc.com/culture-metamodernism-pairs-with-millennials/
- RGD (2017) Packaging Design Industry Insights [Website] Retrieved from https://www.rgd.ca/2017/12/20/packaging-insights.php
- Rogan, Joe (Producer). (2016, November 28) Joe Rogan Experience #877 – Jordan Peterson [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wyGK6k6HE
- Rogan, Joe (Producer). (2018, July 2) Joe Rogan Experience #1139 – Jordan Peterson [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xc7DN-noAc
- Rogan, Joe (Producer). (2018, July 2) Joe Rogan Experience #993 – Ben Shapiro [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from
- Rogan, Joe (Producer). (2017, October 10) Joe Rogan Experience #1022 – Eric Weinstein [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from
- Rickards, J. (2016, January 1) The Big Drop Second Edition How To Grow Your Wealth During the Coming Collapse
- Rustad, G. (2012, February 29) Metamodernism, Quirky and Feminism*, http://www.metamodernism.com/2012/02/29/metamodernism-quirky-and-feminism/
- Samara, T. (2005, May 1) Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
- Sazon, Gladys Jean (August 18, 2016) Modernism-Post Modernism Timeline [Presentation] Retrieved from https://prezi.com/qso4uvkwf3mf/modernism-post-modernism-timeline/
- Schroeder, A. (2009, October 27) The Snowball: Warren Buffet and the Business of Life
- Seib, G. The Wallstreet Journal (December 17, 2019) How the U.S. Became a Nation Divided [Website] Retrieved from https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the-u-s-became-a-nation-divided-11576630802
- Sheperd, S. (November 26, 2018) The inescapable postmodernism within Television series Community [Website] Retrieved from https://email@example.com/the-inescapable-postmodernism-within-television-series-community-df5c9f527f07
- Sosolimited (March 2, 2017) 5 Insights About The Current State of Design [Website] Retrieved from https://medium.com/sosolimited/5-insights-about-the-current-state-of-design-d1ae85880960
- Spiekermann, E. (2013, December 23) Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works, Third Edition
- Toth, J. (2010). The Passing of Postmodernism. New York: State University of NewYork, p. 2
- Turner, L. (2011) “The Metamodernist Manifesto” http://www.metamodernism.org/
- Turner, L. (2012, July 2) The New Aesthetic’s Speculative Promise. [Website] Retrieved from http://www.metamodernism.com/2012/07/02/the-new-aesthetics-speculative-promise/
- Turner, L. (2012, September 12) David Foster Wallace’s Hideous Men & London’s Olympic Epiphany. [Website] Retrieved from http://www.metamodernism.com/2012/09/12/david-foster-wallaces-hideous-men-londons-olympic-epiphany/
- Vermeulen, T., & Van den Akker, R. (2010) “Notes on Metamodernism”
- Sullivan, E. (2014, November 24) Miranda July: Interrupting the Conventions of the Personal. [Website] Retrieved from http://www.metamodernism.com/2014/11/24/miranda-july-interrupting-the-conventions-of-the-personal/
- Whalley, C. (2014, August 5) I Love Roses When They’re Past Their Best. [Website] Retrieved from http://www.metamodernism.com/2014/08/05/i-love-roses-when-theyre-past-their-best/
- Williams, R. (1977). Marxism and Literature. Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 131
- USHistory.org (2019) 4a. American Political Culture [Website] Retrieved from https://www.ushistory.org/gov/4a.asp
- University of Salford, Manchester (2009) Design 2020 [Website] Retrieved from http://usir.salford.ac.uk/id/eprint/12618/1/Design2020_final.pdf